Monday, August 27, 2007

Trip to NYC

One of the hottest, muggiest days in August, and I was standing in the bowels of the Manhattan subway, waiting. My throat burned from the acidic air and sweat and anxiety dripped from me, as waves of people went about their business. Hordes of people, but I felt alone. Ok, ok... suffice to say, NYC for me is nothing like Sarah Jessica Parker's; if this is city living, I'm a country gal.

I met fellow graduate student John Chang and Ebenezer Singh at the MoMA. It was great to finally connect with familiar faces. John introduced me to Gaetano La Roche an artist friend of John's who also met us at the museum. John was tired after a very long flight from LA but in great spirits and Ebenezer was dancing with excitement, too.

The MoMA was cool, spacious and completely packed as any Saturday afternoon at a major NY museum would be in a heat wave. Gaetano was having an exhibition at the Church of Saint Mary the Virgin on 145 West 46th Street on Sunday and Nancy McTague Stock, another fellow grad student and I were invited to attend. More about MoMA and the Richard Serra exhibit in a future post.

Why go to all this trouble? It was an energetic shot in the arm I needed after two months away from residency and a trying summer.

We left the MoMA in a taxi with artist Long Bin Chen and headed for his studio in Tribeca. Nancy McTague Stock met us there with her lovely daughter and we all headed to Chinatown for dinner. It was fun to eat, drink and talk about art. It is energizing to be with artists serious about their work and made me miss all you AIB'er even more.

I stayed at the Integral Yoga Institute which is downtown and a quiet oasis in a noisy city. On Sunday I headed to Time Square to meet John and go to Gaetano's exhibit.

Next post, I'll talk more about the work I saw. Cheers all!

No comments: