Monday, December 10, 2007

Qimin as Mentor

Ah, a fantastic mentor meeting...Qimin was able to offer me deep insight, guidance and advise about my work this semester. I am so excited how the study of brush painting has influenced my oil painting. Brush painting has subtly changed my painting stroke and so has experimenting with indirect painting, Thank you, Tony. The brush painting, oil and digital work do relate to each other, even though I sometimes have difficultly seeing how.

Being the one who makes the work, makes it hard to get enough distance to discern overall concepts. I am sure this upcoming residency in less than three weeks, will give me perspective.

I've had two fantastic mentors and am looking for a third. I wish Wolf Kahn or John Grillo would mentor me, I'm currently loving their work. If anybody has studied with Hans Hoffman or has a mentor suggestion, drop me a line...I'm listening and ready to take it to the next level, Yep!

4 comments:

Neva Austrew said...

Rebecca, where do you live? My friend, who was a mentor in the AIB program before, studied Hans Hoffman and may know someone in your area who would be a good mentor.

Rebecca Moran said...

Hi Neva, I'm in Connecticut half way between Boston and NYC.

Neva Austrew said...

He says to contact the Hoffman estate: http://www.hanshofmann.org/index.php and see if they have any suggestions. He said he thinks Robert Henry lives on the Cape, and used to be a student of Hans. You can probably reach him through: http://www.paam.org/
Hope that helps! Cheers!

Rebecca Moran said...

Neva,
Robert Henry said he would be my mentor! Great suggestion, Thank you.