Wednesday, July 18, 2007

New Insights

The meeting with Qimin proved extremely insightful. We looked at all my work from last semester. I shared the feedback I got from the residency and he offered his own critique of my work.

In the Letterform Series, I was concerned that many people were viewing them as design exercises. He suggested I could push the painterly qualities with more texture to increase the differences between painting and design. I could use an impasto technique similar to Wayne Thiebaud's and punctuate the background with a relief texture in paint. It would then be clear that the emphasize was painting. I was trying to create a texture by using metallic highlights, but was unsuccessful.

I didn't make a loud enough statement between painting and design with this work. Am I going to change them? I'm tempted, but there is something appealing about a quiet statement and it can't be both.

No comments: