Thursday, July 12, 2007

New Mentor for second residency

I'm meeting Qimin Liu who is my new mentor at my studio this coming Monday. I've been organizing and preparing my studio for this meeting, after the whirlwind of residency. It will be good to discuss our plan for this semester. He is a fantastic painter and a knowledgable experienced teacher. He currently has work on exhibit at the Wadsworth Antheneum Musuem of Art in Hartford Connecticut, up until August 12, 2007

My last mentor was Eric Goldberg. His mentoring style was unstructured, intuitive and just the right amount of guidance at the right time. It was very effective for me. It takes skill and experience to teach this way. It is much easier for a teacher to impose an external predetermined plan on to a student but not as productive sometime for the student. Eric's laid back approach and his trust in my process helped me figure out where to focus. I gained confidence in myself and my work. He was adamant once, only when I asked he said "Paint, paint, paint!"...and he was right.

No comments: