Thursday, January 28, 2010

Deep in Winter

Who as an artist, has the guts to say when someone asks innocently: "so what are you work on?" when deep in winter, nurturing the creative process, dreaming, thinking, trying on ideas, combining different processes...in other words not outwardly making a physical thing.

It is wintertime, I am actively gestating, quiet, passive and open to what will soon be new. Yet, I find this one of the most difficult times... not because of the process but because of the judgment (others and myself). I worry, what if don't start working again? Shouldn't I be cranking it out, consumed with production? Shouldn't I be pounding the pavement for bigger, better shows? Shouldn't I be 'doing' rather than 'being'? Shouldn't I be? No! It is winter.

One of the things I do during this "down" time is look at and be inspired by other artists work. Currently, I am in awe of illustrator Charley Harper. Check out web site at charleyharperartstudio.com

It's not surprising to see a winter cardinal.















Cardinal Cuisine, 1954.

If I do not take the time to reflect, think and dream I have nothing to say when it is time to work in the studio. Without this time, winter then does becomes a permanent state; cold, contracted and outwardly barren. Brrr, where's my sweater

2 comments:

Rebecca Moran said...

translation: Its impossible to fight for something, it is better value to use his good self-owned

Rebecca Moran said...

Translation:

Peaceful…Laborious! Prays for heavenly blessing you to be getting better and better in each aspect!