Friday, August 31, 2007

To Sell or Not to Sell?

"Sea Glass" and "Across the Species" (see blog sidebar) were accepted into a small juried show. The question put before me was, did I want to sell my work? Well, yeah... don't we all need to generate revenue?

The next question then is, how much do you sell your work for? How do you price YOUR work? Do you consider the amount of time spent on a piece? Do you factor in materials and framing? What about perceived aesthetic value or the socio-economic ability of those who attend the show? Oh, man this is a big can of worms!

I have to come up with a dollar amount before I drop off the work. I'm curious how other artists deal with this. What's fair, what works?

3 comments:

Mary E Mayer said...

Hi Rebecca!
I had a similar experience, Just put a $500.00 tag and did not give it too much thought. You can drive yourself crazy with that kind of thing, you know. I sort of look at it like artists are either in the $30,000.00 dollar range or the 500-1200.00 range. You have to decide.

Rebecca Moran said...

Hi Mar,
Yeah, I really thought hard about it and ended up putting $1,200 on the painting and $750 on the pastel. It seems like I'm in the right ballpark from your post. I'm not in the $30,000.00 range yet ;-)

I came to those numbers by adding up the time spent doing the work, plus materials.

It's an interesting dilemma. I would love it if anything sold!

Pirate1227 said...

This is a dilemma I struggle with myself as well. I'm told to add up your costs and multiply it by 5. I don't want to give stuff away, yet I don't want to charge an unfair amount either.It is difficult and I would be interested as well, to see what other artists are doing with the pricing.