Friday, May 30, 2008

New work

Oil on denim 36"x26"

As my fourth residency approaches, I have to decide on a thesis topic. This semester I've created semi-abstract and completely abstract work. I thought I would post one of the new semi-abstract paintings. Much of the semi-abstract art will not garish as much attention as the completely abstract work, in addition it doesn't show up well online. I am writing an artist statement and sharing some of it here. Feedback is critical, please comment if you are so inclined.

I want to bring your attention to how all form comes from formless-ness into being. The collapse, impermanence and instability of form, points to the physical world as illusionary. What is real for me, is energy. Energy takes on physical form and is best described through abstract painting. I am attempting to express a quality apart from the landscape using non-western illusion of space.

How I made this painting:
The images posted are painted on heavy 100% cotton denim. I'm showing the details of a large (for me) landscape painting 36"x26". I gessoed the denim with three thick layers and sanded down each one, so the surface looks and responses to paint like primed canvas. The texture of the denim is a twill instead of the perpendicular weave of canvas and only shows subtly through the brush work.

Part of my process is to allow an image to emerge. I painted this image without drawing it first. I was playing with indirect glazing techniques and experimenting with layers. I would wipe off and put on paint and this painting is still evolving. It will change again, as it nears completion but it's close enough so you can get the idea.



upper left detail

center detail



4 comments:

Lynda Schlosberg said...

Hi Rebecca!

My feedback on statement....

I think you should expand on your statement: "What is real for me, is energy. Energy takes on physical form and is best described through abstract painting."

Why is it best described through abstract painting?

And this statement: "I am attempting to express a quality apart from the landscape using non-western illusion of space..."

I realize you are pointing back to the opening line of "walking the line between abstract and representational" But how does space now relate to energy, form and formlessness and the world of abstraction and/or representation?

And you know me, I completely get what you are doing (I'm living in the same world), but I'm struggling with how you've worded it: "I want to bring your attention to how all form comes from formless-ness into being. The collapse, impermanence and instability of form, points to the physical world as illusionary. What is real for me, is energy. Energy takes on physical form..." This reads a bit contradictory to me. You want to call attention to physical world as illusionary but that energy is "real" and creates physical form so then is that not illusionary?... I think this needs to be constructed differently to say what I think you really mean...

I hope that helps some...

I've yet to write mine. Hope to attempt to this weekend!

-Lynda

Rebecca Moran said...

Thanks Lynda,
You make excellent points! This is my first go round with articulating. Your generous comments will help me get clearer. I really appreciate and need many sets of eyes.

Lynda Schlosberg said...

I met with Melissa Kulig and Rinat (who is graduating this residency) last night and Rinat said that the best thing to do is get other people to read (and critique) your statements because they can take the "emotion" out of it. That the general problem with coming up with our own statements is that we have to much emotional involvement in it. I thought that was pretty interesting and good advice. So, if you can try maybe even pretend you are writing someone else's statement. I have to work on mine tomorrow, and I'm going to try that (and I may ask you to take a look at mine....) :-)

Stay cool!!
xo

Rebecca Moran said...

It's a good idea to let others read it. Members of my group are sharing their artist statements online in Flickr.

I'm still wrestling and writing mine. I'd be more than happy to return the favor and critique your artist statement. I'll be looking for it.